Today is Tasteful Tuesday!
Check out this delicious and nutritious homemade meal you can make quickly and easily!
Tamari Chicken, Veggies & Rice
What you need:
Skillet or cast iron to cook chicken
Medium saucepan & lid to cook rice
Tongs for flipping chicken
Serving bowls x2
Serving plate for chicken pieces
1 cup white basmati rice
2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1 medium onion (chopped) (1/2 for chicken and 1/2 for the rice broth)
2 garlic cloves (minced)
2 garlic gloves sliced in half
1 carrot (chopped) (1/2 for rice, 1/2 for veggie mix)
1 celery rib (chopped)
1/2 raw red pepper (cut into thin slices)
2 small bok choy (chopped)
1 kale stalk (leaves removed and saved for a smoothie for later)
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, sliced into 1/2″-1″ strips
Tamari (low sodium gluten free soy sauce)
- Boil the water for the rice in medium saucepan. Look at your rice package directions for the measurement. The basmati rice I buy is 1 cup rice to 1 1/2 cups water.
- Add to the rice water: 1/2 of the onion, 2 SLICED garlic cloves, 1/2 of the carrot, all of the celery, the kale stalk, 1 tablespoon of butter or oil and 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon white pepper.
- Once the water is boiling add the rice. I added 1 cup uncooked rice. Stir, cover and lower the heat to low. Cook for length on package directions. I cook mine for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat the skillet with 1 tablespoon of butter or oil on medium-high heat. Once melted/heated add the remaining 1/2 chopped onion and sauté at that higher heat until they are translucent and starting to brown in color but not burn. (About 3-5 minutes)
- Add all of the minced garlic cook for 1 minute.
- Push onions and garlic to one side of the pan to make room for the chicken. Add sliced chicken strips. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of tamari on top of the chicken. Cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Flip the chicken onto the other side to cook it evenly. Spread the onion and garlic mixture over top of the chicken. Cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Check the rice. It should be cooked by now. Put rice and veggie mixture into a serving bowl with a lid or plate on top to keep it warm.
- In the same medium saucepan (no need to clean it yet) add the rep pepper, bok choy and remainder of the carrot. Put on on the burner on medium heat with the lid on.
- Remove chicken with tongs and place in on a serving plate. Pour the liquid in the skillet with tamari, onions and garlic over top of the veggies in the sauce pan. Stir and put the lid back on. Cook for 3 minutes or until tender but still have a nice crunch to them.
- Remove veggies and place them in a serving dish.
- You are ready to eat! You can add more tamari on top of the mixture if you want more flavor/saltiness.
- I serve it with a mound of rice, then veggies and a few pieces of chicken on top.